Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Louis Wain "The Man Who Drew Cats"

I Love Louis Wain's cats. :) I've even had a few people compare my artwork to his. I think it's a nice compliment. Here's a neat video about Mr. Wain's cats & life...



It's so sad to see he was ill in his later years :( How fitting he was able to live out the rest of his life surrounded by cats.

Edited to add...There is some debate over if it really was his illness that caused him to create that way or if he was just experimenting with patterns.

From Wikipedia ..."It is not known if these works (The patterned paintings) were created in the order usually presented, as Wain did not date them......Wain experimented with patterns and cats, and even quite late in life was still producing conventional cat pictures, perhaps 10 years after his [supposedly] 'later' productions which are patterns rather than cats." I guess we will never know for sure.

No comments: