Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kitty Update, Now Zoe's sick...

With all that was going on with Tabby I didn't notice that Zoe had slowly quit eating her dried food. So I realize this last week and at first I wasn't worried since she had been eating a lot more of the wet food I was giving to them. Last Thursday I see she is not eating the wet food either any more, only licking the juice and sauce and not drinking much water either. So Friday I took Zoe to the vet. Now things have flipped and Zoe is sick. Remember me posting about weaned her off of the steroids she was on to keep her from getting bladder infections back in Feb through March because they weren't good for her? Friday we find out she has a monster bladder infection. The vet started her on antibiotics & gave her fluids. She had none of the normal symptoms of a bladder infection so I had no idea this time. The vet expected Zoe to be feeling better within 24 hours. That didn't happen, things got worse over the weekend, she quit eating & drinking completely. All she wanted to do was curl up and sleep. Well cats can't go without eating! So I have been force feeding her. I have to get 1 can of food (5.5 oz) and a bunch of water in her every 24 hours, it works out to 1/4 a can 4 times a day. It really sucks but she's my baby & if I don't her liver would shut down and she'd die. Monday I had scheduled an afternoon vet appointment for Tabby for her Thyroid blood work. I just went ahead and took Tabby & Zoe super early as soon as the vet's office opened. Tabby got her blood taken and that was all for her, she's gained a little weight back and is doing much better right now. For Zoe, the vet gave her more fluids, a small steroid shot to see if that will get her to start eating again and took blood to see if something else is wrong with her. I also got some NutriCal paste (nutritional supplement) to mix in the food I'm feeding her. Right now I just have to give her the antibiotics, keep her fed and get water in her. She seems a little better today. She ate some treats on her own and also has licked the sauce off of her wet food this morning too. That's still not enough food for her so I'm still feeding her too. *sigh* I know they are getting old but they aren't that old yet, Zoe is 12 and Tabby 14. I just want them both the stay healthy and feel good. I should get back Zoe's blood work today and Tabby's tomorrow....

No comments: